Sneezes, sniffles, or coughing can put a serious wrench into daily life.
Do you know the best ways to help prevent the colds and flu
This year, help safeguard your family against illnesses with some preseason training for cold and flu season
1. Boost your immune system.
A healthy immune system is the best protection against cold and flu
season. Keep your family's natural defences strong with these simple tactics:
- Avoid stress. Studies show that stress hampers your ability to stay healthy, especially during cold and flu season. Try taking a mini meditation break during the day – simply close your eyes and focus on breathing in and out for a few minutes.
- Stick with a bedtime. When you consistently log eight hours of sleep a night, your body has the chance to repair cells and build up your immune system.
- Eat well and exercise. Stock up on fruit and vegetables to give your body the nutrients it needs. Also, aim for 30 minutes of moderate activity at least three times a week.
2. Fight germs.
When you keep germs away during cold and flu season, you can lower your risk of getting ill. Try these simple habits to help avoid stuffy noses and sore throats:
- Wash your hands. And talk to your children about why it’s important to wash theirs. A typical hand washing – before a meal, after going to the bathroom, or whenever you cough, sneeze, or blow your nose – should last 20 seconds. It’s roughly the time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday” twice in your head.
- Clean your desk. It’s a hot spot for germs at the office. Invest in some disinfectant wipes and clean your desk, keyboard, mouse, and phone frequently.
3. Be prepared for cold and flu symptoms.
Despite your best efforts, it can be tough to make it through cold and flu season without anyone in the family getting ill. Stock up on the essentials while everyone is still healthy:
- Vicks First Defence Nasal Spray to help stop the cold at the first signs, before the symptoms fully develop
- Chicken, vegetable, or tomato soups
- Disinfectant wipes
Following this advice will help in preventing colds and flu.